Skip to main content
Get your brand new Wikispaces Classroom now
and do "back to school" in style.
Pages and Files
Interventions & Curriculum Materials
Links and Resources
The Power of ICU
South Dakota PBIS
South Dakota PBIS Pilot Program
The immediate goals of the SD PBIS Implementation Plan are as follows:
1. Create local systems that support and sustain implementation of PBIS in school and community settings.
2. Create awareness and shared language for addressing the social/behavioral needs of children and youth.
3. Use a data collection/management system that provides reliable and easily accessible data to assist in evaluation and decision-making.
4. Develop a state wide system of professional development (including trainers and coaches) to support the implementation of PBIS.
5. Incorporate PBIS within coursework offered through institutions of higher education.
6. Attain political recognition and support.
Expected outcomes for PBIS schools/districts
As schools and districts implement systems and strategies of PBIS, they are expected to attain both immediate and long-term outcomes.
Immediate Outcomes – those things that are expected to result soon after PBIS is implemented and continue to be evident as PBIS is sustained over time.
An increase in:
• Appropriate behavior,
• Student achievement,
• Parent/guardian satisfaction and positive reports about their child’s school as reflecting a safe environment,
• Feelings of safety and positive environments in schools,
• Involved community partners, and
• Use of data in making programmatic decisions.
— those effects that are expected over time as PBIS is implemented in many schools and communities. These effects are more difficult to show a direct causal relationship and yet PBIS is expected to play a contributing role.
• An increase in the graduation rates across South Dakota.
• A decrease in the number of students placed in out of district placements due to behavior issues.
• An increase in the positive behaviors exhibited by students in the community.
• An increase in the number of functional systems of support in communities.
Plan of Action
SD Department of Education Commitment
As a result of reviewing data for the State Performance Plan and listening to district requests for technical assistance and training, South Dakota’s Special Education Programs recognized the need for a state wide behavior initiative and is committed to supporting local implementation of PBIS.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"